Translate

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Playdates, Homework and Exercise

The highlight of my weekend was successfully dropping my three and a half year old daughter off at her friends house for a playdate. When I picked her up, she didn't want to leave as she only gets to see this friend every two weeks. And now that I think about it, I forgot to schedule the next playdate. I'll have to send her mom a facebook message and set it up.

Speaking of setting it up, when they began being called 'playdates' is beyond me. We didn't make dates to play with our friends when I was a kid. We just showed up, knocked on the door and asked if so-and-so could come out and play. Our parents were just glad we weren't in the house and we knew that when it started to get dark, or our friends were called in for dinner, it was time to go home. And sometimes we called home and said we were eating dinner two blocks away and we would be home afterward.

After we picked my daughter up from her playdate, we tried to get my son to finish up the homework he had leftover from last week. He's got a cold though. With a congested head, cough, sore throat and wheezing because of his asthma. He gets sicker than most kids when he gets a cold because he just can't breathe. This does not help him get his homework done. Every few minutes he's hacking and getting up to toss a tissue. So, we struggle, but we get some of it done and fix some that was not done right. Poor kid has a head full of snot and just can't think.

Exercise is what had to come next. I have been working out every day for the past few days and it feels really good. I've got to continue the momentum or I'll lose it. So, I don my tennis shoes, my exercise pants, my t-shirt and get to working out. Today I chose a dance video I streamed from Netflix via my Wii. Super cool and if you haven't tried it, you really must give it a shot!

I've been watching what I'm eating and exercising every day for only a few days, but I have GOT to get rid of these last few pounds I've been hanging onto for a couple years now. I plateaued quite a while ago and I just have to grab a parachute, sprint toward the cliff and go for it!

So, here goes nothing. A comfortable weight for me is about 15 pounds lighter than I am now. It's not a lot, but it's the end of a very long road as I've already lost 80 pounds. So, by the time I'm done, I will have lost almost 100. Whew, that sure sounds like a lot, but it took me almost 2 years to lose the 80. And I've been hanging onto the last 15 for the past two years.

And now for the drum roll. I have signed myself up for something totally crazy. It is called Warrior Dash and I will be competing with a bunch of other totally nutty people (some are friends that I convinced to do it with me). We will all get t-shirts, viking helmets, and a free beer upon completion of the course. You'll have to check it out. It's just totally insane. And I am totally excited! Something to light a fire under my ass and get me in shape by July. Exactly the kind of motivation I need! I'm locked into participating now, so I have to get fit or I'll make even more of a fool of myself than I would otherwise. You'll see what I mean when you read the description.

As a matter of fact, I think I'll have to dedicate another blog post just to the Warrior Dash. I'll put that on my list for tomorrow.

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment. It's nice to know if people are out there!
Jess




No comments:

Post a Comment