I did a little research because I thought it must be a joke. The joke being that this coffee is produced from elephant dung. WHAT!! and gross!
What I found is that this is actually true. Again: WHAT!! and gross!
Once deposited [last time: WHAT!! and gross!] by the elephants, the individual beans are hand-picked out of the elephant dung by the some people called Mahouts. Then they sun-dry and roast the beans.
The website doesn't say if the elephant poo is removed from the bean before turning it into a cup o' joe or if you are just drinking a very expensive cup of crap infused coffee.
Supposedly the reasoning behind drinking abc (already been chewed) coffee is that elephant stomachs have a great fermenting process that they say reduces the bitterness.
So, if you are interested in having a cup of roasted elephant poo, there are currently only 14 places in the world you can find it.
- Napasai by Orient Express (Thailand)
- Conrad Koh Samui (Thailand)
- The Pavilions Resort (Thailand)
- Paresa Resorts (Thailand)
- The Peninsula Bangkok (Thailand)
- Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve (Thailand)
- Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle (Thailand)
- The Siam Hotel (Thailand)
- Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok (Thailand)
- The Elephant Story (Texas, USA)
- Anantara Dhigu Resort and Spa (Maldives)
- Anatara Kihavah Villas (Maldives)
- Naladhu Maldives (Maldives)
- Anatara Golden Triangle (Thailand)
Personally, I think I'll stick with my organic, shade grown and fair trade coffee from Costco.
Have fun, be safe and don't do anything you can't tell your mother about,