Translate

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Epiphany

Did you know that today is apparently Epiphany? Neither did I.

My MIL just sent me an email that said Happy Epiphany. I had no idea what she was talking about at first. I'm not religious (although I grew up in a "Christian" home), but I thought I post this anyway...

Upon further investigation it is (excerpt taken from wikipedia):
Epiphany
(Greek for "to manifest" or "to show"), is a Christian feast day which celebrates the revelation of God in human form in the person of Jesus Christ. Epiphany falls on January 6 or, if celebrated on a Sunday, on the first Sunday after New Year's Day.[1] Western Christians commemorate the visitation of the Biblical Magi to the child Jesus on this day, i.e., his manifestation to the Gentiles. Eastern Christians commemorate the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan River, his manifestation to the world as the Son of God. It is also called Theophany, especially by Eastern Christians.

Here is a blog that has additional information...
http://innerchristmas2008.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment