Translate

Thursday, August 6, 2009

It's just a name... right?

In less than three months it will have been ten years (yep, a decade) since I began working in this same office building.

Several of the people I worked with back then are still here today (yes, we are all just a bunch of sorry asses who can't seem to move ahead in life - or maybe, just maybe, we all really like the feeling of job security provided by our union). Is that possible? Well, I did say 'maybe'.

Back to where I was. So these coworkers of mine and me; we all see each other every day and even a few of us socialize after work (good times, good times).

Yesterday, I was shocked when one of my nearly decade-long coworkers walked up to my desk and stood directly in front of my name placard (if it was a snake, it would have bitten her) and said "Jennifer, can you help me with something in Word"?

Notice above that my name is most definitely not Jennifer and not only that, but most people just call me Jess.

I was taken aback for a second, but thought, 'Okay, maybe this person has just had one of those things commonly referred to as a "brain fart" for a minute here' and I let it roll off my back, and since I'm a very helpful person (generally), I showed her how to do what she wanted to know.

Not even five minutes later, this person comes back to my desk again, standing, again, right in front of my name placard (which I swear was trembling with desire to bitch slap her for the first faulty use of my name) and says "I can't seem to get it to work, Jennifer. Can you show me on my computer?"

Gasp! She did it again! Okay, granted, I probably wouldn't be too bothered by someone calling me by the wrong name once (as long as it wasn't during......you get my drift) but by gaia all mighty! After ten freaking years?

And not only that, but there is someone I use to be acquainted with (who's name I shant mention here >< <-- yeah, right there!) that goes by a name I really would prefer not to be called! And what name do you supposed that might be?

Yeah, I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count!

I'm sure you are now wondering what I did. Yep, I'm a sucker for kindness. I got up out of my chair, didn't even pause to correct her, and followed her to her desk where I showed her how to do the thing she wanted to do in Word.

I wonder if she even realizes what she did or if today she knows my name?

It's Jess, by the way. Don't forget that!

No comments:

Post a Comment