Translate

Friday, August 31, 2007

Miss Teen USA South Carolina

Some things are just too good to not share. Lauren Caitlin Upton (aka Miss Teen USA South Carolina) will probably forever regret her 'like such as' confused answer to a simple question one week ago today.

The Question:

Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can’t locate the US on a world map. Why do you think this is?

The Answer:

"I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because uh, some uh, people out there in our nation don’t have maps and uh, I believe that our ad-education like such as in South Africa and uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as and I believe that they should uh, our education over here in the US should help the US or, or should help South Africa, it should help Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for our children.”

First, I would like to say this is one hell of a run-on sentence. Secondly, Lauren says "like such as" only two times, but somehow it feels like many more. She never once says the most forbidden "um", but she has no hesitation at all in saying "uh". That is counted five times. I am a bit confused about her reference to "US Americans". I'm not sure what a US American is. Maybe an American that does not live in South America, Central America or Canada? Somehow I don't think she was going there. I'm not sure where she was going. Maybe to "the Iraq".

Lauren was given another opportunity to answer the same question when she was later interviewed on the Today Show.


Her new answer:

"Well personally, my friends and I, we know exactly where the United States is on our map. I don't know anyone else who doesn't. And if the statistics are correct, I believe there should be more emphasis on geography."

Please tell me that she knows her new answer only made her look slightly more intelligible. Probably not, but I do have to give her a little bit of a compliment. At least this time, she actually stated something related to maps and finding the United States on one. Oh, and she threw in that 'big word' in the end: geography.

I want to know which map she is referring to when she says "our map". Would that be a map of the United States? Yeah, it would be hard to not find the US on that map, eh!

I also want to know who it is that she does know that can't find the US on a map since she refers to not knowing "anyone else who doesn't".

Lastly, I have to give her accolades for not believing every statistic that is published. At least she has a mind to be skeptical.

So, Lauren Caitlin Upton, three cheers for entertaining the U.S. Americans. Oh, and don't forget the Iraq and South Africa and the Asian countries.

To memorialize her famous words:
http://tinyurl.com/2fs54o

No comments:

Post a Comment