Translate

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Vincent Van Carle?

I'm in a position financially that makes it impossible for me to pay for extracurricular classes for my kids at this time.
So of course, my nine year old son became very interested in an art workshop after seeing a flyer passed out at his school. Seventy dollars to teach a child about collages for one hour a week for five weeks seemed rather steep to me...even if I could afford it.

Being the ingenious mom that I am, I decided I would take it upon myself to play the role of teacher yet again and this time, teach art.

So, I did some studying (something all teachers should do), and I know that my son loves Vincent Van Gogh. He especially loves Van Gogh's Starry Night.

Asking a nine year old to recreate Starry Night would cause said nine year old much undue stress however since he is as much of, if not more than, a perfectionist with his art as I am.

Since the workshop was about collages, that gave me an idea. And I know of a very fun artist, that my kids also recognize...Eric Carle. You know, the author and illustrator of books such as The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, all of Eric Carle's illustrations are in a unique collage form.

So, my son and I together are going to recreate Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night in the flavor of Eric Carle. We picked up a few art supplies last night and I shall have to post a picture of it upon it's completion.




2 comments:

  1. You can view it on my facebook page in the album titled "Art Class Project".

    ReplyDelete