Translate

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Warrior Dash 2011 in North Bend, Washington

You know how I've whined about my poor little broken foot a bit too much lately?  Yes, it even bugged me - so here's a sorry out to all of you!  Well, that whining all stemmed from my major itch to get back to training.  See, I'm competing in the Warrior Dash in North Bend, Washington in July.  

First of all, when you complete the race, you get a FREE BEER!  Now I've got your attention, eh!

Yeah, that got my attention too.  And then I told some friends about it and we were lucky enough to get signed up to compete together.  My big issue at this point is that both of these friends are a lot more athletic than I am.  

Which was why I was training!  When you read on further down, you'll see why I was training in January for an event that takes place in July.

Of course, I made t-shirts.  My friend Kassy has purchased one.  I told her this means she has to come too so her and Steph can cheer us on as we crawl (under barbed wire) toward the finish line.
Warrior Chick
Here's a few tidbits from the Warrior Dash website:

"Welcome to America’s most insane race. Warrior Dash lands in Washington for the first time in 2011 where 11 obstacles from hell await you along this 3.55 mile course. Are you a Warrior?"

"Warrior Dash is a mud-crawling, fire-leaping, extreme run from hell.  This fierce running series is held on the most challenging and rugged terrain across the globe.  Warriors conquer extreme obstacles, push their limits and celebrate with kick-ass music, beer and warrior helmets."

Obstacles for the North Bend Warrior Dash:
1) Slithering Swamp - Venture into unknown murky waters.
2) Junkyard Jam - Stampede through the scrapyard - including climbing over junked cars.
3) Hay Fever - Hustle up and over giant straw bales.
4) Warrior Wall - Conquer the wooden barricade.
5) Chaotic Crossover - Crawl across the tangled nets.
6) Arachnophobia - Tread through the tangled ropes.
7) Walk the Plank - Traverse the gully on wooden planks.
8) Tunnels of Terror - Burrow through the black tunnels.
9) Cargo Climb - Maneuver over the cargo nets.
10) Warrior Roast - Leap over the Warrior fires.
11) Muddy Mayhem - Scramble beneath the barbed wire as you near the finish!

Awesome, right!!!  Yeah, I thought so too.

RACE LENGTH:  3.55 hellish miles (race length varies depending on location)
There are 6,000 people crazy enough to sign up for this just for Saturday!
Originally it was only on Saturday, then it filled up and they decided to continue it through Sunday...which is almost full.
If you are interested in either the WA one or seeing if there is one near you, click HERE!  Registration will be closed on Tuesday, July 5, 2011 at 3pm CST so hurry if you want to do it!

Not only will we get to compete in something while having a total blast with my friends at the same time but we get to drink free beer, listen to live music, get an awesome fuzzy warrior helmet complete with horns, get a bad-ass warrior dash t-shirt and a medal for finishing, but there will also be awards!!!

AWARDS
The awards ceremony will take place at one hour after the last wave of the day recognizing the day's...
* Top 3 overall male and female participants.
* Top 3 males and females in each age division.
* Most ridiculous costume contest - you should see some of the crazy costumes that have taken place at the four around the world that have happened already.
* Best Warrior beard - yes, even the women are sporting beards!

And, there is only one rule for the costumes: "You're good to go, as long as your costume or running shoes do not harm other participants".  
They will even provide zip ties for you to attach your race chip to your ankle in case you have nowhere else to put it.  Hmm, I believe they are condoning you run stark naked.  I won't be showing up in that costume.  Although, I do suppose you need somewhere to pin your bib number.  Nipple rings, anyone?  Okay, yeah, I really hope I don't see that!

The suggested training schedule is as follows:
Day One: run as far as you can go.  Go home.
Day Two: do the same thing.
Day Three: find the dirtiest pond in your neighborhood and snorkel in it - in your slippers, without goggles.
Day Four: practice your climbing and crawling skills at your local jungle gym.  Ignore small children and parental glares.
Repeat - and do not shower or shave for weeks in order to obtain a true Warrior look.

As they keep saying: IT'S THE CRAZIEST FRICKEN DAY OF YOUR LIFE!

I can't wait!
See, now you know what all my whining was about.  

Until Next Time,

PS: Today I took off the blasted boot and wore two shoes!  Progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment