Translate

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Exhaustion

Once in a while I get insomnia and get about three hours of sleep. Okay, well maybe it's more than once in a while. It just might be more like two or three times a week. But I seem to function well that way so I've not decided to try taking anything for it yet. Except for once. I tried melatonin once, and I still couldn't fall asleep so I haven't tried it again, yet.

Sunday night was one of those nights for me. It was three o'clock in the morning, and I was still awake. Three thirty rolled by and I thought, I'd really better fall asleep soon since I need to get up at six thirty. I looked at the clock again. It was three thirty-five. I felt myself finally beginning to drift off. Before actually falling asleep, I heard my son call to me from his bed. I looked at the clock again. Two minutes before four.

Thinking maybe he was just talking in his sleep, I lay my head back on the pillow. He called again. I tossed the blanket off and went to his bed to see him propped up on one elbow. He told me his ear was hurting really bad. I got him a decongestant and a dose of acetaminophen and had him come snuggle up with me thinking that if he was in the crook of my arm, he might settle better and get some rest.

I was wrong. Four thirty. Five thirty. My toddler walked to my bedside with three of her blankets, her dolly and a book. She snuggled into the crook of my other arm.

Six o'clock in the morning. My alarm goes off at six thirty but I don't hear it. I have finally fallen asleep. I have a different alarm that goes off at seven. I hear that one and wake extremely groggy after having only slept about an hour all night.

Shockingly, I was running only twenty minutes late. I get into work, get a few things taken care of and go talk to a coworker about how to take care of some special handling orders while another coworker is out of the office.

I get back to my desk and take care of a few more things. An email pops up and it carries the heavy news that my friend and coworker has passed away. The same coworker who I had just spoken about being out of the office.

I blogged about my experience with that yesterday.

This morning I felt numb. Now I don't know what I feel. Sad I guess. And I'm hungry and about to go get my coworker and go out for a lunch time drink. We both need it.





No comments:

Post a Comment